|Grade 8 Multiple Choice Exam Questions|
These are the kinds of questions you will see in section A of a final exam.
In each question you will have 4 answer choices (A, B, C or D).
On your answer sheet, in a column, list the numbers 1 to 10.
Read the question out loud, then write the best answer beside the question number.
Calculators are NOT allowed.
All calculations must be done in your head or on paper.
Make sure to check your work carefully with the solutions and explanations at the end!
1) After a soccer game, Henry's heart rate was high. It then dropped quickly and finally settled down to his normal heart rate. Which of these graphs represents this situation?
2) David earns $100 for working 8 hours.
Sheila earns twice as much as David does for working the same number of hours.
Greg earns the same amount of money as David for working twice as many hours.
Chris earns twice as much money as David for working twice as many hours.
Who earns the highest hourly pay?
A) Sheila .......... B) Greg..........C) David ....... .. D) Chris
3) Which of these represents a proportional situation?
4) Mr. Generous has won $1000 and decides to donate the money to 3 charities -- UNICEF, the Children's Hospital and the Cancer Foundation.
He'll give the Children's Hospital twice as much as he gives to UNICEF.
He'll give the Cancer Foundation $200 more than he gives to the Children's Hospital.
If x represents the amount he'll give to UNICEF, which of these equations represents the situation?
A) 2x + 200 = 1000 ........................... B) x + 2x + 200 = 1000
C) x + 2x + 2x + 200 = 100............. .. D) x + 2x + 2(x + 200) = 100
5) A regular hexagon with side length = ( a 2 ) cm undergoes a similarity transformation (dilatation) with a scale factor of 3. Which expression below represents the perimeter of the transformed hexagon?
A) ( a 2 ) + 3....................... B) 6( a 2 )
C) 3( a 2 )............................ D) 6 [ 3 ( a 2 ) ]
6) Figure A' is the image of figure A after a similarity transformation. Which of these rules represents the transformation?
7) Which of these triangles is NOT similar to the red one?
8) A fair 6-sided die is rolled once. Which of these are complementary events?
9) Which pair of coordinates could apply to the point P?
10) The 72° sector of this circle has an area of 100 cm². What is the area of the whole circle?
|1) D||2) A -- Sheila||3) B||4) C||5) B|
|6) B||7) C||8) A||9) A||10) D|
1) His heart rate descends but doesn't hit zero as in B and C.
2) Sheila earns twice as much as David who earns the same as Chris. Greg earns half what David and Chris do.
3) Each ticket costs $4.50.
4) x = UNICEF, 2x = Hospital and 2x + 200 = Cancer Foundation. Total = $1000.
5) Enlarging by a factor of 3 multiplies the perimeter by 3.
6) All the lines are ½ as long and positive coordinates became negative.
7) 5, 6, and 7 are not in the same proportion as 4, 5 and 6.
8) Since there are only these 2 possibilities -- we either roll an even number or an odd number.
9) The point is in the first quadrant, the same distance from both axes.
10) Since 72° is one-fifth of 360°, the area = 5 × 100 cm² = 500 cm².
( MathTub Index )
(all content © MathRoom Learning Service; 2004 - ).