|Grade 8 Multiple Choice Exam Questions|
These are the kinds of questions you will see in section A of a final exam.
In each question you will have 4 answer choices (A, B, C or D).
On your answer sheet, in a column, list the numbers 1 to 10.
Read the question out loud, then write the best answer beside the question number.
Calculators are NOT allowed (except for question #5).
All other calculations must be done in your head or on paper.
Make sure to check your work carefully with the solutions and explanations at the end!
1) A plane leaves the Montreal airport and climbs to an altitude of 3000 meters. It stays at that altitude until is descends to land in Winnipeg, 2 hours and 30 minutes after leaving Montreal.
If both cities are at sea level (altitude of 0 meteres), which of these 4 graphs represents the altitude of the plane in relation to time during this flight?
2) Harry's father had a satellite dish installed. It cost $125 for the installation and $35 per month for the service. Which row of this table of values represents the total amount paid over the first
5 months of service?
|Number of months||1||2||3||4||5|
3) All together, Maria, Jacob and Trevor own 120 CDs. Jacob has 3 times as many as Maria and Trevor has twice as many as Maria. If we let x represent the number of CDs Maria has, which equation below represents this situation?
A) x + 3x + 6x = 120 ....................... B) 3x + 2x + x = 120
C) x + 2x + 6x = 120 ....................... D) x + (x + 3) + (x + 2) = 120
4) Which expression is the simplified form of ......... 3x 4x 5 + 6x ( 3x) 3 ?
A) 2x 8 .......... B) 10x 8 ..........C) 8x 8 ....... .. D) 8x + 8
5) Which student had the highest rate of flossing their teeth?
A) Ian at 52 times in 60 days ....................... B) Anne-Marie at 29 times in 35 days
C) Janice at 71 times in 84 days ....................D) Ed at 17 times in 20 days.
6) Which of these represents a proportional situation?
7) Triangle A' B' C ' is the image of triangle ABC after a similarity transformation with centre O. What is the ratio of similarity?
8) Which pair of coordinates could apply to the point P?
9) The diagram represents a dance floor in the shape of a regular pentagon. The dimensions are shown in meters. Point C is the centre of the pentagon. What is the area of the dance floor?
10) The 45° sector of this circle has an area of 100 cm². What is the area of the whole circle?
|1) B||2) row A||3) B||4) C||5) A|
|6) D||7) C||8) B||9) B||10) D|
1) The cities are both at sea level so start and end altitude must = 0.
2) First month is $125 + $35, then add $35 each month.
3) 3 times as many as Maria's = 3x, twice Maria's = 2x, and Maria's = x.
4) collect up the x's and the constants (numbers).
5) A is 87%, ..... B is 83%, ..... C is 85% ..... and ..... D is 85%.
6) proportional situation must start at (0, 0).
7) We rotated and reduced the triangle in size. Since the rotation was clockwise, it is negative. The smaller triangle is 1/3 the size of the bigger one so the ratio is 1/3.
8) Since the point is on the x-axis, the y-value must equal zero (0).
9) The pentagon is made up of 10 triangles with base = 6 m and height = 8 m (or 5 triangles
base = 12 m and height = 8 m). Since the area of a triangle is ½ (base × height), we have 10 triangles each with an area = 24 m². So Total Area = 240 m².
10) Since 45° is one-eighth the entire circle, the area = 8 × 100 cm² = 800 cm².
( MathTub Index )
(all content © MathRoom Learning Service; 2004 - ).